Routine Preventative Maintenance
Properly maintained, your solar water heater system will provide years of dependable trouble-free service. It is suggested that a routine preventive maintenance program be established and followed by the user. It is further recommended that a periodic inspection of the operating controls, heating element and wiring should be made by service personnel qualified in appliance repair.
- Clean collector glass periodically to remove accumulated dust and dirt.
- Trim trees near collectors.
- Lift and release the lever handle on the temperature and pressure relief valve, located on the left side of The thermosiphon tank, to make certain the valve operates freely.
- Allow several gallons to flush through the discharge line. Make certain the discharged water is directed to An open drain.
- The anode rod should be removed from the water heater’s tank for inspection and replaced when more Than 6″ of core wire is exposed at either end of the rod
- Check all valves and electrical equipment.
- Flush the tank with cold water until the pressure is relieved, some of the water is drained, and the cold Water supply is turned off before removing anode rod.
- Check fluid level in closed loop. Replace fluid if necessary.
Maintenance of the Solar water heater
Do not remove the anode rod from the water heater’s tank, except for inspection and/or Replacement, as operation with the anode rod removed will greatly shorten the life of the tank. Water heater is equipped with an anode rod designed to prolong the life of the tank. The anode rod is slowly consumed, thereby eliminating or minimizing corrosion of the glass lined tank.
- Remember to keep the collector at a 45[degrees] angle if the latitude of your area is unknown.
- The hot water will rise to the top of the tank. When all of the water is to be used, it can be drained from the faucet; when only a small amount of water is needed, the hottest water can be taken from the top of the tank.
- Whenever water is being heated, the water level should be kept above the tank’s upper hose connector to allow the water to circulate or the Thermosyphon system will not work.
- Lubricate the motor periodically to avoid any damage due to high friction.
- Protect the pump from exposure to dirt and rain.
- The water heater works best when the connecting hoses are as short as possible.
- Rubber hoses may have to be replaced every two or three years. If metal other than galvanized sheet Metal is used, such as untreated sheet metal; the lifespan of the system will be shortened considerably due to rust. Once the collector starts to rust, it must be replaced.
- Untreated sheet metal can be painted with several coats of rustproof paint if it can be obtained. However, you should check the painted area in six months to make sure it is not peeling off. It is also helpful to wrap the tank in insulation materials
- Clean the glass once a month for best results. And if you live in a hard water area, descaling process once every year is recommended. Scaling is the buildup of mineral deposits in the pipes. Deposition of hard scales in the absorber tubes of flat plate collectors is a serious problem. It not only reduces the efficiency of operation, but may eventually prevent heat absorption totally. By flushing the system out periodically scaling can be prevented (only if water is hard). Titanium micro technology coating prevents formation of rust and scales in the piping.
- To begin using the solar water heater, make certain the tank is 46cm above the top of the collector. Fill the tank with clean water. Check for leaks.
- Use cross-linked polyethylene composite pipes, as it is a non-stick material and also has very low thermal conductivity minimising heat loss.
|Problem||Possible Causes||What To Do|
|Not enough Hot Water||Solar circuit breaker tripped Reset||replace as necessary or fuse blown|
|Safety Thermostat tripped Reset/||replace as necessary. or malfunctioned|
|Faulty Backup Heating||Replace Backup Heating Element|
|Hot water leak in household||Locate and repair leak system|
|Blockage in water line||Locate and correct blockages|
|Pipes not properly connected||Correct pipe connections according to installation
during installation instructions
|Tank blocked with sediment||Flush tank to remove sediment|
|Closed loop charge low||Recharge closed loop|
|Leak in closed loop Locate and repair as necessary,||recharge closed loop|
|Air bubbles in closed loop||Recharge closed loop|
|Ruptured tank jacket||Replace tank|
|Tank not level||Level tank|
|Collectors notÂ level||level collectors|
|Collectors shaded during||Clear obstruction to sunlight on collectors a light hours|
|Tempering Valve malfunction||Repair/replace as necessary|
|Not enough Hot Water||System circuit breaker tripped||Repair/replace as necessary in the Morning or OFF or malfunctioned|
|Following a Cloudy Day||Faulty Backup Heating Element||Replace as necessary.|
|Too much Cold Water||No T/P Valve installed||Install T/P|
|Cold water coming from Drain||Coming from Drain Too much pressure through T/P Valve||Repair/replace as necessary. Line T/P Valve|
|Pressure build up caused by.
Thermal Expansion in a closed
|Contact water supplier or contractor on how to correct this.
(Do not plug relief valve opening.)
|Hot Water coming
From drain line
|Faulty Thermostat||Repair/ replace as necessary|
|Malfunctioning T/P valve||Press and release T/P valve handle to reseat valve or
Repair replace as necessary
The precautions that need to be taken when use solar water heater are :
- Keep hands dry when operate the electrical parts.Keep power of back up heat system and anti-freezing belt off before bathing, the electrical Part is prohibited frequently turn on and turn off.
- Request for repair once if found hot water in cold water pipes to avoid hot water backflow to The cold water pipe to scald pipes
- When indoor temperature is below 0 0C, the pipeline should be vented and maintains water Drain valve always open to prevent frozen pipes and indoor copper fittings.
- Do not use solar water heater or system in thunderstorms, windy weather, and cut off the Power of the control system.
- For your health, water from solar water heater you’d better not to drink, because the water in The collector cannot completely release, easy to breed bacteria, it is harmful to health.
- Vents must not be blocked,is strictly prohibited without permission to install or modify any Device, in order to avoid poor exhaust damaged tank.
- Please contact the service stations once solar water heater occurs problems,
- Sprinklers release directly above the 60 -degree water is strictly prohibited.
- There need someone to accompany when the children and old men bath to prevent burns.
There will be water scale after the water heating and temperature rise, because the water quality is not the same in different regions, which contains calcium and magnesium ions are different, so different level of water scale. As for solar water heaters, it’s mainly inside the vacuum tube, basically water scale deposition inside a vacuum tube, there’s no impact on the water tank, and because relatively slow heating in tubes, deposition of water scale in tube is relatively loose, not like the formed hard water scale when we use electric kettle to heat water at home. Depending on the different water quality, generally in about 5 years to install solar water heater vacuum tube needs to be cleaned with a weak acid, washed with water after cleaning 3-5 times to ensure clean.
There might be some reasons as followed
- Obstructions in front of the water heater
- Installed in the wrong direction, it should be toward the south or east, the west 10 degrees
- Check water pipe if there is any block or not
- Check evacuated tubes if there are any broken or not
- Water tank capacity is too small to meet the request of water supply volume
To keep solar water heater be full of water, cover the tubes, cut off all the power and turn off the valves.
Before starting the system, do the following:
- Check water in the cold water supply line and also storage tank. In case there is no water, fill the tank with water. The system should never be operated if water is not available. Without water the pump will be damaged. A thermosyhonic system will not deliver hot water at the point of use if there is no continuous supply of cold water.
- Check the collector glazing. It should not be dirty. In case dirt is deposited on the glazing it should be cleaned.
- Open all the control valves as suggested by the supplier
- Check electrical supply.
- Check the water pump. It should not be jammed.
- Check whether the Non Return Valve (NRV) on the cold water inlet side is working.
- Ensure the lever of mixer in the bathroom is on either left or right side AND NOT IN
THE MIDDLE to avoid mixing of hot/cold water.
Operation of the Solar Water Heater
- After ascertaining that the requirements indicated above are fulfilled, start the circulating pump.
- The water will start circulating in the collector system and after getting heated will be collected in the storage tank.
- The temperature of water in the storage tank will rise which can be seen in the temperature indicators provided in the system. There is a possibility of air locking in collector riser tubes and headers which can be released by increasing the flow of water by opening control valves.
- As soon as the control valves are opened beyond the limits suggested, water will start coming out from the air vents. Keep the valves in this position for some time and then bring them to their original position or as soon as water stops coming out of the air vents.
- In a thermos phonic system hot water will start collecting in the storage tank as soon as sunlight falls on the collector and water is available in the system.